Current Employment Opportunities:
Title: Finance Director
Reports to: President
Status: Regular Full-Time / Salary / Exempt
Purpose: Oversee all financial, accounting, and human resource administration functions of HLUW.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Direct the overall accounting function of the organization, including preparation, maintenance, and analysis of accounting and financial information (monthly financial statements and journal entries).
2. Manage receipts entry, reconciliation of donor database with accounting system, review and collection of receivable accounts, and processing gifts of stock determining market value and gain/loss on sale.
3. Oversee accounts payable function from purchasing procedures through issuance of checks and electronic payments to vendors with whom a professional relationship is maintained; includes accrual and payment of agency allocations and donor designations.
4. Manage cash flow and serve as controller of all monies; reconcile bank, brokerage, Trust, and Endowment accounts; maintain professional relationship with representatives of organizations that hold these assets.
5. As liaison with independent auditors, direct HLUW’s annual audit responsibilities including preparation of all documentation and schedules; assist with and prepare documents for CPA firm’s completion of Form 990.
6. Develop annual budget, including forecasts and analysis, for all funds from gathering of information from responsible staff through Board approval.
7. Develop and maintain financial policy and procedures and system of internal controls.
8. Provide financial analysis regarding administration of labor contract and labor contract negotiations and proposals; participate as member of management in collective bargaining.
9. Maintain inventory of property and equipment as well as the physical security of the office.
10. Perform human resource functions including biweekly payroll and administration of benefits.
11. Supervise the Finance Associate position, a role responsible for administering donor pledge processing through the HLUW database.
12. Manage overall use of the HLUW database, including oversight of tasks related to pledge processing, financial reporting and campaign reporting.
13. Provide guidance, ideas and collaborative thinking with Board and Staff Teams.
- Attend regular Management Team Meetings.
- Attend and report at Board Meetings.
- Connect finance work to other aspects of HLUW’s work.
- Serve as the staff liaison to the Finance Committee.
14. Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required.
- Three plus years of accounting experience required.
- Nonprofit accounting experience, including experience working with volunteer boards and committees, preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong working knowledge of current accounting principles and standards
- Demonstrated ability to interpret financial transactions for production of accurate financial statements.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize and institute proper accounting controls for cash, general and subsidiary ledgers.
- Demonstrated skills in selecting, coaching, motivating, and training employees or volunteers.
- Excellent relationship cultivation skills and the ability to engage and influence employees, board members, key volunteers, donors, and/or other stakeholders. Ability to relate with a diverse group of individuals or organizations. Must demonstrate comfort in socializing professionally in both intimate settings and at larger social events.
- Comfort and proficiency with presentation skills both one-on-one and publicly.
- Fluent in the English language, both oral and written, including correct punctuation, spelling and grammatical usage.
- Proficient in the latest Microsoft Office Environment (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission, vision, and goals of United Way.
Physical, Environmental, and Mental Demands
The person in this position frequently operates a computer and other general office equipment, such as a copy machine and printer. The person needs to occasionally move about inside the office and position oneself to maintain office equipment and access materials. Frequently moves and transports equipment and/or materials weighing up to 25 pounds.
Because the person in the position frequently communicates with HLUW staff, volunteers, and donors, the person must be able to converse with others and exchange information.
The person in this position must be able to accurately gather and classify information, use logic to analyze information/data, and apply mature judgment in making decisions. The person must adhere to established procedures, policies, and rules in carrying out work responsibilities. The person in the position must maintain confidentiality of data and access to private information. The person must be reliable and attend meetings, events, and functions as scheduled.
The person in this position needs to adapt well in the face of workplace stressors such as competing priorities of high significance to the organization’s success.
Disclaimer: This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, and does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. The job description is subject to change at any time.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and 3 employment references by 5pm on Friday, July 17, 2020 to Matt Hunter at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Attn: Matt Hunter, President
Head of the Lakes United Way
424 West Superior Street, Suite 402
Duluth, MN 55802
(PLEASE NOTE: Due to HLUW staff working primarily from home during the pandemic, email submission of applications is preferred. If you need to use mail to submit your application, please notify Matt using the contact information below.)
Questions: Contact Matt Hunter at 218.213.8188 or email email@example.com.